Tartan Trojans: One Month Roundup!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

One Month Roundup!

(By Chris)

Well, it is a mere day short of one month in Scotland! I figured this would be a good chance to run down some of the things I've noticed. First, the lame things, 'cause it's a much shorter list:



  • Prices. I definitely had an oh-shit moment the other day when I checked my bank account, but most of that was one-time stuff (coat, gym membership, phone, etc).

  • Her Majesty's Royal Mail decided that I was to pay over 75 pounds in customs fees for a box that essentially had t-shirts in it. The Royal Mail may send that shit home, 'cause I don't plan on spending $125 or so on such things. *grumble* Unfortunately, since Levi's cost about fifty quid over here anyway, I'm going to have to make do with limited pants. *shrug*

  • ...man, I thought I'd be able to come up with at least one more complaint besides expenses, but I guess not.

  • UPDATE 7/2/10: Actually, there's broken glass everywhere. They trust people with open containers and all, which is generally nice, but the amount of glass beer (and even wine) bottles that are crushed around on the roads and walks makes me a little antsy while walking around in sandals. Something to be aware of, for sure.

So! Things that are awesome:

  • The frickin' haggis. At first when I saw recently that the FDA would reexamine the ban on haggis importation, I didn't care a whole lot; now I do. The stuff is so hardy and meaty and cheap and wonderful, I just have no idea what I'd do without it. I got back from the farmers' market just now (set in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle) and a stall there was selling venison haggis! It was even more flavorful than the normal kind. While I still prefer the sheep variety, the fact that someone could actually cover operating costs on a stall selling stewed deer offal just makes me happy.

  • The beer. Most pubs have cask/"real" ales, which are dispensed through a hand-pumped tap. The nozzle goes all the way to the bottom of the pint glass, aerating the whole thing as it's filled up. Everyone always lauds a Guinness from the tap, but imagine a beer that actually TASTES like something being even MORE light and aromatic. Love. Also, the cheap beer here instead of Keystone and Natty is Stella Artois and Carlsberg, both of which are considered modestly-classy imports at home. It almost feels sinful to use the stuff for pong or any other games, but we have no choice!

  • Everyone here drives stick. Seriously, besides the occasional Mercedes SUV, all the service trucks and everything are all standard transmissions. There are these top-heavy maintenance vans toddering along the cobbled wynds and alleys, with a STICK. Props to the Scots. We look like weenies in comparison.

  • UPDATE 7/2/10: Parliament! We have a legislature that's only a decade old, and founded on accessibility and transparency. We attended a public petitions hearing, and the connection of the populace to the government is really inspiring (each MSP represents about a 10th the number of people that a House district covers at home).
  • Little kids with Scottish/English accents! Seriously, I don't know why this is so adorable to me. But go watch 'Charlie Bit Me!' for an example of the cuteness.

  • The cafes! There are independent coffee shops on each corner basically, the coffee is espresso-based (usually, instead of the tureens of swill that we tend to rely on in the States) and they all offer salads, soups, paninis, etc. for totally reasonable prices. They've found the perfect balance of comfort, simplicity, quality, and price. I'm a fan.

  • Rock climbing at the gym! This isn't a Scottish thing but more of a University of Edinburgh perk... but they have a rock wall at the gym, and there's nothing more awesome and motivational than that. I'm getting good at it. :D

  • Finally, I like the general courtesy. People hold the door for you, and if you hold it for them you get an enthusiastic "Cheers!" and genuine smile. The drivers totally don't stop for you, but the city's walkable and your fellow pedestrians can be quite charming.




Feels like that covers it for now. If I think of any others I'll have to make another real post!

No comments:

Post a Comment