Tartan Trojans: Arthur's Seat! Muddy and fantastic.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Arthur's Seat! Muddy and fantastic.

(By Chris)
This morning I woke up feeling pretty lazy. Had an epic night with the flatmates, and the last thing I thought I'd be doing today is jogging up a frickin' hill.
For whatever reason, I was able to rally! I pulled on my old sweatshirt and some sweats, and set off, straight down the Royal Mile (and all of it's touristy monstrosity) until I hit Holyrood Palace and the parliamentary complex at the foot of Holyrood Park. The land was set aside centuries ago, last used for agriculture in the 15th century or so, and was used as a royal hunting park until it was opened for public recreation in the... mid-1800's, if I remember right. It was brisk, so I didn't study the signs too closely. :D

As soon as I started up the hill (you can see the asphalt running path at the bottom of the hill, here) I saw a small ruined wall standing up on top of a crag. I had to go check it out, and it turned out to be St. Anthony's Chapel, constructed in the 15th century and out of use since 1581. I was kinda dumbfounded that such an object was just hanging out on the hillside with everyone running past.
Not looking too bad for something of its age. I would have guessed it was more recent if not for the little plaque nearby.
The journey up itself was pretty tough... there was still snow on much of the trail, and whatever wasn't snow was mud. With the clay-like soil texture and some very slippery grass, going was tough but I fought on hard and it was all the more satisfying (I took the concrete path back down, since such slippiness is a horrible thing to tussle with when it's ganging up with gravity).
I had some other pictures that showed more in the way of buildings, but this is the only one I had that really gave a sense of just how high up the peak is. The wind was blowing straight into my face, and I had to shoot it 3 or 4 times 'cause gusts kept making the camera shake. Working my way up was fine, windwise, but once I got onto the exposed crest it just... *foom!* Sandblaster, without the sand. Or something.

I loved all the couples and families out there on the gorgeous Sunday. This was my first chance to really enjoy some blue sky, and the adorable little kids with various British accents trundling about just made it awesome.
Man-made lake (or Loch, what have you) set up when the park was opened to the public. Frozen over with birdies! No significance besides its prettiness.

More adorable families, feeding the birds! At least at home, we just have some mallard ducks and some exceptionally irritable geese, but they had real swans. The kids were very into it.On my way back, I remembered to stop by a garden I'd found the other day. It was set up in the last 30 years or so but is modeled after a 17th century garden. This picture is basically identical to my current phone background; when I was there the other day, I was feeling a bit out of sorts, but the silence of the place along with a light misty rain was a panacea. It's set up just 20m or so from the main tourist drag on the Royal Mile, but both times I've been there it's been entirely empty and the only silent place I feel like I can get to in the city. Basically, I think I'll be there a lot. :)
Classes tomorrow! I've been doing reading to get up to speed, and I think I should be able to hit the ground running. I've had a great week off, but I'm certainly ready to start learning about the country I've been exploring. Hears to an excellent program!

No comments:

Post a Comment