Tartan Trojans: Sometimes shades can be prettier than colours.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sometimes shades can be prettier than colours.

(By Rachel)

With all the free time interns now have and the fact that Edinburgh is so darn easy to walk around, I went for a little stroll along Prince's Street just now. I was actually searching for Charlotte Chapel, which someone had recommended I see, but somehow missed it while walking as far as Sandwick Street, so I just used the time to meander a little bit and duck in and out of the various buildings along the way.

The weather here is actually quite enjoyable to an extent. The lack of sun is basically turning everything into shades of grey, but the light snow today created a nice effect along the way, especially on the hills. Plus, it's not too windy at the moment so one can go for a nice long stroll and not have their face sandpapered off.

Prince's Street is this cute duality of shops and ancient tourist attractions. On one side you get the monument to Sir Walter Scott, St. John's Episcopal Church, the National Art Gallery, and a nice view of Edinburgh Castle, and on the other, you get....three Carphone Warehouses, Gap, Footlocker, and even a Build A Bear.

Finally, a cautionary tale: There is a Piemaker on South Bridge, and the pies there are excellent, especially when you can get a sizeable individual pasty for less than £2. I highly recommend it. But while I ordered it "to go", I also attempted to eat it on the go. Did not work.

I did, however, manage to munch on a tasty crepe on the way back.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh glad you tried the Piemaker! I've been meaning to give it a shot. (and less than 2 pounds? Geez, I'm gonna get extra fat on those)

    ReplyDelete