Tartan Trojans: Greetings from the Phantom Trojan!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Greetings from the Phantom Trojan!

(By Catherine)
Hello all! I finally figured out how to work this crazy thing, and can now inform all the dedicated blog viewers that I too have safely arrived in Edinburgh and am slowly becoming acclimated to the new surroundings and culture. I think the biggest change I've experienced so far has been the inordinate amount of free time I have here. The university level education system is structured very differently in the UK, and instead of having a constant stream of classes throughout the week with interjecting papers, quizzes, and exams, we will have about 3 hour long classes every week during the classroom portion of our internship program. Additionally, because our program's start date was postponed a week, we've had even more free time to explore and meet people both in and out of the program.

I'm one of those people who likes to go, go, go, and I think it's been really soothing to ease myself into the social and school cultures in Edinburgh in the absence of immediate testing, reading, mock trial practices, choir rehearsals, chapter meetings, etc. So far I've discovered that eating cheaply is not difficult at all in this city, perhaps because restaurants and stores try to cater to the immediate student population. A large baguette from Tesco is only 1 pound!! Biblos, the restaurant right down the street from Kincaid's Court, our dorm building, has full meals (and yes, I mean full, satisfying meals...) for only 5 pounds! This is definitely a city of paradise proportions for someone who appreciates the beauty of good food, and is trying to conserve funds while traveling abroad.

As far as exploring goes, Chris has done an excellent job of summing up and documenting the touring that some of us have been able to do together. I also had the exciting opportunity to hit up the George Street clubs with one of my American friends in my building, as well as about 10 Scottish and British students. The bar and clubbing scene is definitely a change for we American students. Imagine my surprise when no one asked to see my ID as I was entering my first club. Also imagine my surprise as I look around and notice that every single girl in the club is wearing the typical "going out" attire that girls at USC would sport in the 65 degree nighttime weather, with coats no where to be seen... even though temperatures can drop to about 20 degrees at night here. Alas, my friend Daryl and I were content to look like outsiders in our heavy boots and cardigans that evening.

All in all, I've gotten off to a great start here, and am looking forward to the weeks to come. Updates and photos to follow! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment